Thursday, August 25, 2011

The Final Cut



June 1st 2011 brought with it the bitter sweet experience of Show Selection, something every student wants to succeed in (despite protesting otherwise)! There is no doubt that the very many 'all nighters', tears, sweat and endless to-do lists leave you feeling vulnerable and exhausted come selection day. And there is no doubt in my mind that when you've spent 9 months resolving a creative vision, you want to be able to show it off and show it off good!


Above you can see the mini studio I set up with a fellow fashionista at uni, complete with industrial machine, button hole domestic and that's my bed behind the machine - the window ledge. Honestly.
As you can see by the carnage on my table it was a fraught time!

And so we kicked off the selection process at 10am with industry personnel including Guy Hipwell @ Fashion 156, Helen Palmer @ WGSN, Catherine and Rob @ Teatum|Jones and Louise Gray. A mad hour and a half backstage equated to 1 minute in front of a silent judging panel, we were like a dressing team on speed that day!

After pulling together to get everybody's collections out it was truly bitter sweet to receive confirmation of my selection. Seeing peoples aspirations trampled on was tough and there were more than a few tears. Nonetheless, I had to move forward and make sure the rest of the collection was finished in time for show day. Will never know how I would have felt had I been one of the unlucky ones.

No comments:

Post a Comment