Wednesday, August 24, 2011

Technical Quilting




Following my discovery of Lana at Bewitching Stitching (and possibly more importantly her husband Rod), May became the month of quilting mania. Initially I had to 'digitise' my design work so that it could be programmed into Lana's fabulous IntelliQuilter. This in itself was a challenge as I had been working small scale, producing hard copies of the artworks and then stitching them directly on the fabric through paper. This was one of the main reasons I needed to work with somebody who could complete the process mechanically - the finish wasn't luxurious by the time I'd finished picked out the paper across 10m of fabric!

Once I had produced a Illustrator file of the design (I had never used the program before and this was the mother of all crash courses), I sent it over for Rod to convert into a special quilting file. I know from the late night phone calls and references to wine consumed that this was an exceptionally challenging task, one which neither of us had realised, sorry Rod! Thanks to both Lana and Rod's perseverance I arrived at the workshop to see these fabulous test pieces emerging.

Expect incredible multi layered, technical fabric quilted garments.


No comments:

Post a Comment